September 21, 2013 • 9am-4pm
- Fair Trade Products
- Survivor-Made Products
- Jewelry, Cosmetics
- Crafts, Baby Items
- Apparel, Bags etc.
Fair Trade products are made under good working conditions, without slave labor, with a fair price paid to the producer.
Poverty alleviation and community development are key goals.
Support the 3rd annual anti-human-trafficking Just Shop event.
Sheriff Adrian Garcia – Harris County
Chong Kim – Survivor and Activist
Enjoy a day of shopping with a variety of vendors and concessions available for sale.
- there are more than 27 million humans in slavery today, more than at anytime in world history.
- human trafficking competes with drug trafficking as the number one criminal industry in the world.
- 18,000 victims are brought into the U.S. annually; 25% are brought into Texas; the majority to Houston.
- advocacy groups believe about 300,000 children are bought and sold in the United Sates annually.
- within 48 hours, 1 out of 3 runaways will be approached by a sex trafficker.
- the FBI reports that there are over 500 active brothels in Houston, with two opening each month. some stats show there are more Sexually Oriented Businesses here in Houston than in Las Vegas and Los Angeles combined!
THERE IS HELP.
The National Human Trafficking Hotline
The MET • Metropolitan Baptist Church
12903 Jones Road
Houston, Texas 77070
ABOUT HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- evidence of being controlled
- evidence of inability to move or leave a job
- bruises or other signs of physical abuse
- fear or depression
- not speaking on own behalf and/or non-english speaking
- no passport or other forms of identification or documentation
- chronic runaways
- older boyfriends
- history of abuse
- tattoos and nicknames
- what type of work do you do?
- are you being paid?
- can you leave your job if you wanted to?
- can you come and go as you please?
- have you or your family been threatened?
- what are your working and living conditions like?
- where do you sleep and eat?
- do you have to ask permission to eat/sleep/go to the bathroom?
- are there locks on your doors/windows so you cannot get out?
- has your identification or documentation been taken away from you?
Call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center 1.888.373.7888
- Not in My Town: Exposing and Ending Human Trafficking and Modern-Day Slavery by Dillon Burroughs & Charles Powell
- Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade–and How We Can Fight It by David Batstone
- Children in the Global Sex Trade by Julia O’Connell Davidson
- Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy by Kevin Bales
- Escaping the Devil’s Bedroom: Sex Trafficking, Global Prostitution, and the Gospel’s Transforming Power by Dawn Herzog Jewell
- The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today by Kevin Bales & Ron Soodalter